Early yesterday morning, we delivered our open letter to the Senate Appropriations Committee along with 3,300+ signatures. Thanks to a grassroots surge of pressure involving letters, phone calls, office visits, and national media attention over the last few days and weeks, the committee voted 10-9 against SB 318.
However, one of the "no" votes, Sen. Lizbeth Benacquisto (R-Fort Myers) asked to reconsider the bill, which means fracking supporters and their Big Oil allies will have several days to try and revive this dangerous bill. The vote is encouraging, but the worst thing we can do is assume the bill is dead. It isn't, and we must continue to pressure members of the Appropriations Committee.
These senators voted "Yes" for fracking and need to hear from you. Simply say: "I'm [your name] and I'm urging [Senator] to vote no on SB 318 if it is reconsidered by the Appropriations Committee. Communities should be able to ban fracking in their area."
- Sen. Tom Lee (R-Brandon), chair: (850) 487-5024
- Sen. Lizbeth Benacquisto (R-Fort Myers), vice-chair: (239) 338-2570*
- Sen. Thad Altman (R-Cape Canaveral): (850) 487-5016
- Sen. Don Gaetz (R-Destin): (850) 487-5001
- Sen. Bill Galvano (R-Bradenton): (850) 487-5026
- Sen. Rene Garcia (R-Hialeah): (850) 487-5038
- Sen. Denise Grimsley (R-Sebring): (850) 487-5021
- Sen. Alan Hays (R-Umatilla): (850) 487-5011
- Sen. Garrett Richter (R-Naples): (850) 487-5023
- Sen. David Simmons (R-Longwood): (850) 487-5010
These senators voted "No" against fracking. Thank them for their vote against SB 318 and ask them to hold firm:
- Sen. Anitere Flores (R-Miami): (850) 487-5037
- Sen. Dorothy Hukill (R-Port Orange): (850) 487-5008
- Sen. Arthenia Joyner (D-Tampa): (850) 487-5019
- Sen. Jack Latvala (R-Clearwater): (850) 487-5020
- Sen. Gwen Margolis (D-Miami): (850) 487-5035
- Sen. Bill Montford (D-Tallahassee): (850) 487-5003
- Sen. Joe Negron (R-Palm City): (850) 487-5032
- Sen. Jeremy Ring (D-Margate): (850) 487-5029
- Sen. Christopher Smith (D-Fort Lauderdale): (850) 487-5031
Regular pressure from Floridians like you have put Big Oil on the ropes. Let's keep up the pressure and deliver a knock out punch.