The Florida 501(c)(3) Civic Engagement Table, the state affiliate of State Voices, seeks a talented leader with a record of success managing civic engagement programs and overseeing organizational operations to serve as its Deputy Director.
The Deputy Director will help develop, plan, and implement strategic, year-round, coordinated civic engagement programs in to achieve table project and program outcomes. In addition to achieving short-term program goals, the Deputy Director will help to build long-term capacity through leadership development, increasing communications skills, and data-driven programming. This position reports to the Florida Executive Director. The Deputy Director will begin work by April 10, 2017.
About the Florida 501(c)(3) Civic Engagement Table
The Florida 501(c)(3) Civic Engagement Table is a state based collaboration (“Table”) formed to improve long-term coordination and communication among nonprofit, socially responsible civic engagement organizations in Florida. Our Table’s nonpartisan mission is to engage underrepresented and socially responsible voters in the democratic process and to establish collective action around common issue areas. Those issue areas include voting rights, quality and affordable health care, economic justice, civil rights, improving public education and more.
The Florida 501(c)(3) Civic Engagement Table is an affiliate of State Voices, a national network that encompasses nonpartisan civic engagement tables in 22 states.
The Deputy Director, who reports to the Executive Director, is responsible for the following:
- Work closely with the Executive Director and staff of the Florida Table, along with our state and national partner organizations to implement and manage the overall strategy to expand and mobilize the electorate and guarantee that policy-making is guided by the public interest, not special interests.
- Assist organizational partners in developing strategic nonpartisan civic and voter engagement plans that encourage year-round civic engagement programs including issue education and organizing and voter registration and mobilization. Support member organizations through the development of field plans, providing technical and data assistance, messaging guidance and responding to partner requests.
- Provide strategic programmatic guidance and support to the Table’s workgroups including the development of shared plans, budgets, metrics, and evaluations, innovative new approaches, long- and short-term organizing strategies and engagement of new allies and potential partners.
- Create tracking systems to synthesize organizational plans and produce reports on gaps in the overall strategy.
- Work with the Executive Director and State Voices staff to identify opportunities for conducting and executing experiments.
- Develop and maintain strong communication with our partners and allies in state and nationally.
- Support building our organization in state and support the efforts to raise funds to forward our agenda.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate for this position will possess many, if not all, of the following qualifications:
- 5+ years leadership experience in civic engagement, community organizing, and/or political campaigns required.
- Experience working with underrepresented and/or diverse communities.
- Commitment to the goals of the table including civic engagement and economic, social, and racial justice.
- Ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively, work well under pressure, be detail oriented, and meet deadlines.
- Diplomatic, professional approach to problem solving, and the ability to think independently and creatively.
- Collaborative nature, able to work many different personalities.
- Experience facilitating coalitions and knowledge of the political landscape in the state are required.
- Excellent organizational, time-management, oral and written communications skills.
- Must exercise good judgment and discretion and be able to work independently and as a member of a group.
- Must be a self-starter; willing to occasionally work irregular hours.
- Strong VAN (Voter Activation Network) skills preferred and familiarity with online electoral tools such as Catalist and constituent relationship management tools is a plus.
- Experience working with a state table as staff or table partner staff is desirable.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Internet organizing, and social media.
- Willingness and ability to travel regularly within Florida (including by car with a valid driver’s license) and some national travel.
- Bilingual fluency in Spanish and/or Haitian Creole is a plus.
Location: South Florida
Compensation: Compensation is competitive and negotiable depending on background and experience, and includes a full benefits package.
To apply: Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “FL Deputy Director” in the email subject line. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled; however, preference will be given to resumes received by March 3, 2017. Please, no phone calls.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at State Voices, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
About State Voices:
State Voices is helping create a fair and just society in America by making our democracy more accessible, inclusive, and representative. Our network of nonpartisan, state-based coalitions works with hundreds of grassroots organizations to break down barriers to civic participation, restore confidence in government, and bring historically marginalized populations - and their issues - to the center of public discourse. Both nationally and in the states, we are building a community of collaboration, innovation, and equity that amplifies the impact of our partners. State Voices seeks to catalyze this social change by pursuing these three long-term goals:
- In every state where there is a State Voices table, democratic institutions will be models of inclusion, accessibility, and fair representation.
- Every State Voices table will be a hub for integrated civic engagement activity that demonstrates the collective impact of progressive c3 organizations.
- Every State Voices table will be a transformative, multicultural coalition effectively building the power of leaders and organizations from underrepresented and marginalized communities
To learn more, please visit: www.statevoices.org