The Educational Foundation of America (EFA) is a family foundation based in Garrison, New York. The Foundation makes grants in climate change, creative placemaking, and reproductive health and justice.
Recently, the Foundation began a new grantmaking initiative called Make Democracy Work (MDW). Initially, MDW will focus on increasing access to the ballot box in North Carolina and Florida. We expect to refine and hone our strategy over time.
To support the efforts of MDW and its strategic evolution, the Foundation seeks an experienced part-time consultant (approx. 10 hours per week). We anticipate this project to run for a minimum of one year.
Strategy development and Grantmaking
- Refine and evolve the strategic direction of MDW.
- Conduct due diligence and prepare executive summaries on grant applications.
- Support and partner with grantees to ensure progress toward goals.
- Keep clear and timely records in the Foundation’s database.
Engagement with the field
- Communicate new developments in the field of democracy to the Foundation.
- Forge opportunities to collaborate with other EFA committees and/or other foundations.
- Assist in external Foundation communications such as newsletters, public presentations, and articles as appropriate.
- Prepare content for MDW webpage on the EFA website.
- Attend 2-3 EFA Board meetings each year.
- 3-10 years working on democracy related issues, including community organizing, voter engagement, voting rights, etc.
- Current knowledge of key issues related to democracy, including an understanding of strategies to engage the New American Majority.
- Knowledge of the democracy landscape in Florida and/or North Carolina.
- Experience with 501c3 civic engagement strategies.
- Experience in philanthropy; work with family foundations a plus.
- Proficient with all Microsoft systems.
- Flexible outlook with a sense of perspective and humor.
- Deep intellectual curiosity.
- High emotional intelligence and stellar communication skills.
- Can be based anywhere; located in North Carolina or Florida a plus.
TO APPLY - Send the following via email to Christy Loper, EFA Program Director at email@example.com by Monday, November 27. No phone calls please.
- A cover letter describing how you will carry out the tasks outlined above.
- A summary of your recent and relevant projects.
- Compensation requirements.
- Three references.